Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Story Behind The Names

We decided early on in our pregnancy that we would keep the names that we had chosen for the babies pretty quiet. We had a few names picked out with whatever combinations the babies would be. I think people were surprised when their names were finally announced. 

Briony Bee:
Briony (pronunciation) Bry-uh-nee/Brian-y 
Of Irish or English Origin. 
Name meaning: Flowering vine 
Commonly known from the protagonist role in Ian McEwan's novel "Atonement"

I watched/read the movie Atonement years ago and I instantly fell in love with the name. After I watched the movie I decided to read the book where I saw the spelling of the name and loved it even more. I knew that if I ever had a girl, I would name her Briony. It took some time for Luke to warm up to the name, but once he did, we were totally set on it. Bee is memory of my dad. I have always loved bee's because of him. He was a bee keeper growing up and I thought that was one of the coolest things about him. I remember feeling so proud to call him my dad when he would come to our elementary school to show us his bee presentation. He taught us not to fear such a hard working and important insect and showed us the true beauty behind them. Growing up, we would always play among the bees, get excited when he's get a phone call to go rescue a hive and we had an endless supply of honey. Now in my own house, I can constantly be reminded of him with the simple symbol of a bee or in the name of my daughter. 

Milo William:
Milo (pronunciation) My-lo
Of German/Greek Origin
Name meaning: Mild, peaceful, calm (German) or apple (Greek)
Commonly known from movies such as "Heart and Souls" and "Milo and Otis."

Luke first suggested the name a while ago. I didn't give it a chance being that Trent and Amy use to have a dog named Milo. Over time I grew to really love the name and with just a couple of months left of our pregnancy, we decided on the name. William is also in memory of my dad. That was his first name and I love the classic name. We knew all along that if we ever had another son, his middle name would be William. This name was fairly easy to agree on. 

Briony Bee & Milo William


3 comments:

Eliza said...

What a beautiful way to honor your father's legacy. Briony and Milo are beautiful!

Camille said...

Kim, this is Camille (Olsen). I came across your blog and just wanted to say Congratulations! I can't believe you had twins. They are the cutest babies ever and I LOVE that you named them after your amazing Dad. Congrats again!!

Camille said...

And...just to add, my son has the same birthday as your babies, one year apart :)