Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Here's to Grandma



Sunday, December 30, 2007

Tonight I made a cake. It was one of my co-workers birthday and usually at work our department gets together and we buy balloons, decorate, and usually have a cake that we present sometime around lunch. My group volunteered me to make the cake thinking that I was somewhat creative in that field, which I'm not. Anyway, I proceeded to make just a basic 9x13 plain chocolate cake and attempted to decorate it by making it look like a football field. I even included all of the yard lines, field goal posts and added "LIONS" to the end zone in blue in white (the white substituting for silver) since this was my co-workers favorite team. Anyway, although it didn't look like much, in fact I'm sure an 8 year old boy could have done better, it worked and in the end, was eaten.

As I was focusing on making all those little yard lines, I was reminded of my grandma. My grandma was a professional cake maker/decorater in Mexico for about 55 years. She was good. She was known all over the city for her elaborate and delicious cakes and she put her heart and talent into each one that was made. It makes me wonder how many smiles of brides and grooms, Moms and dads, and especially little children were brought on because of her.

Abuelita Licha (Grandma Licha) was one of the greatest people I knew. Although I wasn't raised by her or saw her as often as most grandchildren see their grandparents, I got to know her. I'll always remember her as being very composed. She didn't show much affection, but we knew she loved us very much. She was born to work hard, even though it meant that she didn't have much money to show for it. She was very grateful for all that she had and although poor, she always found a way to give to others.

I think my fondest memory of her will always be watching her decorate those cakes. She could copy an exact picture of anything you could ever want. Just give her a picture and she'd do it. I always loved sitting in her kitchen for hours watching her create works of art. She'd tell us stories as we'd watched the cakes come to life. The best part was when she'd surprise us with a cake of our very own. Who could ask for a better grandma? Although she is now gone, I'll always be reminded of her every time I attempt to decorate a cake.


-Kim

2 comments:

Amy said...

Wow. Good post. I bet you are as good as your grandma at decorating cakes. Did you take a picture of your football cake?!?!?

Luke and Kimmy said...

I did take a picture, but it's not that great. The idea of it sounds so much cuter then what it was. We'll just say it wasn't as good as your pirate cake.