Monday, February 1, 2010

Welcoming the Un-welcomed

Dare I say Happy February??? For a while now, my hate towards February has been increasing. It's such a depressing month to me and I thought it would be fun to share with you the reasons why...

1. It's still cold. VERY cold. It seems like the warm sunny days are so far out of reach.

2. Why is it that Punxsutawney Phil always sees his shadow? All I want is a sliver of hope that winter isn't going to last for another 6 weeks. Lame.

3. Valentines day. Need I say more? Yes, I guess I do. Luke and I don't find it necessary to celebrate this one, although last year he did come home with some delish oatmeal from Jamba Juice for me, but that's where I draw the line. It's totally a manufactured holiday created to remind you that you're either A. Totally alone or B. That your insufficiently romantic. Duh.

4. The color pink...puke pink.

5. Sure this month only has 28-29 days, but it's the longest 28-29 days of the year.

6. Campaigning begins which means an increase of bumper stickers and lawn posters.

7. I will always be reminded of morning sickness.

Okay well I was only able to come up with 7 reasons why I don't like February. This year, I'm going to try a little more to have an enjoyable month. My plan is to fill it up with as many activities as I can and make it a tad better. Here's the plan....

1. I'm going to read the book The Help in honor of this month being black history month.

2. Going to celebrate February 5th-the day Luke and I found out that we were going to go from a family of 2 to a family of 3.

3. Buy something purple. February's flower is a viola [plant] and the birthstone is an amethyst so I think buying something purple to add to my wardrobe is only fitting...and I've been wanting to incorporate the color since I don't own a single thing that's purple.

4. Attend BANFF which is one of our favorite things to go to.

5. Make it to every book club, girls night out, enrichment night, and young women's activity I can think of.

6. Do something like investing in a pair of thermals so that I may enjoy the cold weather while it's still here...Who knows, maybe Deep down I may discover that freezing my bummy off in the cold wet snow is actually an enjoyable thing.

And 7. Find and express more ways to show the people around me that I love them everyday and not just on February 14th. Watch out...you may be heart attacked.

6 comments:

Jake said...

I agree with many of these! My upcoming trip to UT is the only thing that's helping me make it thru Feb! And for V-day, I told Jake I just wanted a good bar of chocolate. Best way to celebrate that I know of, as I refuse to support the overpriced fake holiday stuff! Hope your goals get you through . . .

The Baker Family said...

Funny thing, the groundhog sees his shadow, and it's 6 more weeks of winter. You don't want him to see it, then spring will come.
And what is BANFF? Am I dumb? Is it obvious and I don't know?

Amy said...

I am going to buy you a big pink teddy bear, with heart shaped chocolates. That should cheer you up...

Brett And Tiffani said...

Brett and I don't really do V-day either. We tried to stay all romantic and what-not, but one year we tried to go to dinner and it was crazy everywhere, so we ended up going back home and ordering pizza. Ever since then, 6 years later, that's our V-day tradition.

Kasidy and Brittany said...

I agree with you about February being so hard. Why is that? Thermal g's are thee only way to go...if you want to stay warm. I absolutely LOVE mine. and I am startiing to atke my girlies out on Field Trips on friday if you want to join us!

Jake said...

I don't mind Feb. It March I detest. It will still be winter here until April.

With the exception of March Madness
J